Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Homemade Pizza!



Mom really wanted a free evening. But the thing about making dinner for her is that she's a rather picky eater and has a strangely weak tummy. I, on the other hand, is less picky about food though I admit some things make me queasy. Anyhoo, we settled on pizza. We didn't like the traditional dough-y types so I went ahead and chose puff pastry for the base. I think it gives a lovely buttery scent that the dough types lack and the light crusty flavor is amazing! The best thing about a homemade pizza is that you can throw anything you want on it. Hey, its your pizza!



Basic Ingredients
--------------------
Puff pastry base - I used store-bought ones. It was 3 in a pack and we ended up eating 2 of them! If you like, go ahead and make 'em fresh. ;+)
Pasta sauce - There are some debates about using pure tomato paste but I find that too harsh & plain for our palate. I used a small bottle of my fav pasta sauce, mushroom & herb flavored. Note that pasta sauce can be watery so nuke it or boil it down if you find a need to.

Fun part - Stuff to go on top! I used...
Fresh mushrooms - white ones coz the swiss brown tend to give a distinct flavor that will take away much of the other flavors so I stuck to white.
Pineapple pieces - I chopped up canned rings. Go for fresh if you like!
Crab sticks - chopped
Cherry tomatoes - I prefer the small ones coz they're sweeter and bite-sized
Mozzarella cheese - I used a ready pack
Pepper - fresh ground!
(Feel free to add or subtract anything - chopped herbs, onions, capsicum, olives, pepperoni, salami.....)

Directions
--------------------
1) Lay greaseproof baking paper on a oven tin. If you noticed, I used foil, which is a bad mistake, since the pastry got stuck to it. We can fun scraping the bits off though. ;+)
2) Preheat oven to about 220degC, 428F
3) Chop uo your ingredients if you haven't already
4) Lay out a sheet of pastry on the baking paper. If you wish to have smaller serving sized pizzas, go ahead and cut up the pastry now. Its advisable to cut up the pastry only when its slightly thawed as it breaks easily when frozen.
5) Spread a decent layer of pasta sauce on the pastry. Go as close or far to the edge as you like. I left about 1/2 inch so the sides come up crispy.
6) Layer the mushrooms on the sauce, followed by the other chopped ingredients. Hold the cheese. Pepper or chopped herbs can come in here. Layer a little more sauce on the chopped ingredients.
7) Into the oven for about 10 minutes.
8) Take out the tray from oven and layer cheese on top. Go ahead and add more if you like.
9) Back into oven for another 10 minutes or so, or until pastry puffs up and browns at the side. Cheese has to be fully melted and slightly brown.

Enjoy your yummy homemade pizza! :D

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin