We've been hanging around for 3 years on etsy now, a couple of downs, but mostly we've met gazillions of awesome people, the only thing between me and giving you a great big hug is the computer screen! So to mark our thanks, and your general awesomeness,
A little surprise at the end of our Anniversary SALE!
We're giving away this super duper adorable Miffy Bleu Mini Clutch Plat! All fabric used is from Japan, including the super cute lemon polkadots inside! & fab quality YKK zipper as always! PLUS, 2 runners up get a cute little MiniZ from us! Yaaay!
To enter, just visit our store, come back & tell us which item you like best & would love to own! & maybe why too! ;+) Simple as! Get clicking!
Pssst! Make a purchase from our store & get an extra entry for every item! :D
Til next sunday 10.30pm Singapore time (NY Sunday 10.30am) or Time Conversion here. Will draw the winners here.
Sunday, August 30, 2009
Saturday, August 29, 2009
As promised, from the Polkadots Babydoll Top blogpost, a tutorial in the same style!
Seems complex but really quite easy! If you can sew straight lines & is not afraid of dealing with elastics, go for it! ;+) Besides, the possibilities are endless!
Friday, August 28, 2009
Just some of the red things in the shoppe...
My Beagle MiniZ
Red Hippo and Autumn Stripes Reversible Market Tote AND Mini Tote Set
Fruits Bunny Kawaii MiniB
Animal Crackers Red MiniZ
Red Squirrel Cube Wallet
Flower Love Large Wristlet Pouch
Red Bridge MiniB
Butterflies Red Large Wristlet Pouch
Red Hippo MiniZ
Last weekend to grab what you need from our shoppe! 20% off everything, plus our Minis are at only $5 & $6 each! Our Anniversary SALE ends Monday midnight, NY time (SG Tuesday 12pm). :+)
1) Mid-Century Wooden Shoe by theprettynest
2) Mid Century Teak Divided Wood Serving Bowl by shopworthy
3) Con-moto chair by joshuadavidgregory
4) Vintage bobbins by janeheller
5) Oak Spool Pincushion by Julsie1231
6) tiny alphabet rubber stamps by iamlily
7) Oak Leaf Cutting Board - Simple by prettydreamer
8) Mini Notebook w/ Wood Cover by gedutisdesign
9) Hardwood toy sewing machine by WoodClinic
ahhh woody goodness!I'm a lifetime fan of this great material! They look great, are recyclable, strong & functional and can be made into almost anything! These are but some of the wonderful woody things on etsy...
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
DH emailed a little poem(below), together with this cute comic. Feeling a little tired & out of sorts lately albeit still working. A little sick & tired of everything actually. So much to do and so little time. Hopefully the "downbeat" bug will go away soon. Maybe I need to get away for a while....
This Is Just To Say
by William Carlos Williams
I have eaten
that were in
you were probably
they were delicious
and so cold
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
One of my favourite new color addictions! They just look so happy together! And methinks its a beautiful bridge between the seasons. Its gonna be autumn soon and there'll be loads of orange then. But before that, the greens, blues & yellows! These colors remind me so much of lush green meadows, endless aqua sea pools and fields of sunflowers!
Blue Flower Turtles, Retro Aqua Mushie & Miffy Town Cube Wallets are available in store right now at sale prices! :+)
Made a new top! Actually I made it last week and had already worn it twice & had gone thru the vigorous washing machine process. hehe Thought I'll save this for a slow blogging day. ;+) I really was in need of something new for my blah wardrobe as mentioned. I hardly get to shop for clothing these days, not to mention the mass-production quality leaves me nauseous. Ugh. Anyhoo, I had this super cute classic polkadots fabric hanging around for a while, actually planned for a cute bubble-hem dress but thought I'll try a top first, besides, I needed it right away! Instant gratification can be pretty satisfying sometimes! And how easy was this top & pretty cute on too! If you got a tee, some fabric, a sewing machine & some 1/8" elastic, you're good to go. Instructions below!
1) First, take a well-fitted tee, draw a straight chalk line across the bottom very near to the seam, cut off the bottom band, and measure about 7inches up, draw another line across. Make sure this band fits your bust line and its not too loose.
2) Cut the band out and fold over & iron about 1/2 inch on the top to form the top hem ready for the elastic.
3)Take your 1/8" elastic, go around yourself above your bust, make sure it fits snug, add an inch & cut. Sew the elastic together with an zigzag stitch.
4) Sew the elastic around the top hem you made on the t-shirt band earlier. To do that, watch this episode of Threadbanger. You'll need to pin the joined elastic portion to the back of the top hem, the other side to the other half. Stretch and sew along the elastic with a zigzag stitch.
5) Take out your fabric for the bottom portion. Depending on how wide/comfy you wish the bottom to flare out, you'll need to adjust. A good way to measure is your hip measurement, adding 10-20 inches in order to have that babydoll effect. My polkadot fabric is pure cotton which doesn't stretch so I added a couple more inches for luck. If you're using another tee, and prefer your bottom not to flare out too much, add about 5 inches to your hip measurement. The length depends on your favourite top/preference. Don't worry if its too short/long. If its too short, you can always add lace! If its too long, simply cut, leaving enough room for a bottom hem. I left 3 inches for the bottom hem since it adds a bit of weight and boxy style. :+)
6) Fold your fabric in half and sew down one side, iron open the seam. If you're super neat, you can fold both seams and sew down both sides to secure it. I simply cut both sides with pinking shears and they've been good.
7) Put the top Tee band into the bottom piece, right sides together, back seam to back seam. If you're skillful, add in the elastic (measured to your underbust comfort level) and sew them all up together. If not start with the top & bottom then add in the elastic, like the top hem of the top. If you notice, I did the bottom elastic looser than the top since I look better without the scrunched up fabric at my underbust, revealing a huge potbelly when I sit down! Its a bit more forgiving when the underbust elastic has a bit more give. ;+) Stretch and sew with a zigzag stitch and you're almost done.
8) Fold in and hem the bottom. I just went over it with a straight stitch.
9) If you like to wear it as a tube top, you can stop here! There's so many options here! I simply took out the leftover tee, measured about 6 inches and made 2 bands, pinned it on to the top elastic, stretched and sewed across with a zigzag stitch. The stretching gives it the slight ruched cuteness & it holds better when on the elastic. Of course, you'll need to wear the top and measure if the straps would fit you before sewing. If you prefer a halter, simply cut 2 long strips and sew to 2 front ends. Alternatively, use ribbon, rope, whatever you like it to be! ;+)
And you're done! Apologies for the word-only tute. Didn't expect to be writing a tute but thought you guys might wanna know the how-to. I promise when I do up my next maxi dress in the same style (soon!), I'll post the step-by-step tute with pics. Its in quite a similar style as the amazing Tee dress on Threadbanger so do hop on over if you need to!
Sunday, August 23, 2009
Banana Nutella Muffins! Boy the name's a mouthful but it was so unexpectedly yummy, it was gone in no time! Those slightly overripe bananas were literally calling out to me on saturday night. And I had to try out Sandra's recommendation of using nutella in muffins! Besides, I had bought those really cute ruffle muffin cups from Daiso earlier. ;+) Sunday's the best day for baking! yaay! Resipe below! You HAVE to make some. For real.
Ingredients for about 30 small muffins (sorry about the metric system!)
150g butter (Golden Churn gold foil butter makes the most fragrant goodies!)
half a glass of milk
3 slightly overripe banana
2 tablespoon nutella
oven, muffin cases, muffin tin
Get out your ingredients. Pre-heat the oven at 190degC. We used the creaming method - 100g flour to 75g caster sugar, 75g butter. We doubled that proportion for about 30 small muffins. Note that if you're using sweet ingredients for later, eg banana, nutella, kinda stuff, its good to skip about 1/2 to 1 tablespoon (25g) of sugar or it'll get way too sweet.
If you have a electric mixer, use it. We're going old-school - creaming the butter & sugar with a wood spoon. Its pretty tiring, but kinda worth it since I can control the process. Room temperature butter does the best job. Using the wood spoon, roughly cut up the butter into manageable pieces then mix & beat til the mixture becomes smooth, white and rather fluffy.
Kinda like so, but I recommend beating it for a little longer as it'll curdle later if it wasn't well beaten at this point. Then add one egg to every 100/75/75 proportion. Beat the egg seperately and add it in a little by little while beating at the same time. If your mixture separates into individuals (curdle!), you'll need to increase the beating for the mixtures in order for the mixture to return to the creamy state. Add a little bit of milk thereafter.
Then add in your fun ingredients! We added about 3 lightly mashed bananas, 2 tablespoon of nutella (Mmmm!) and continued to beat til everything's nice and combined. Now, fold in the flour at the rate of about 2 tablespoons at a go. Don't beat at this point, fold means lightly mix in the flour til well combined each time. If the mixture gets a little dry, add in a little bit of milk. Eventually I did use quite a bit of milk, perhaps til about half a glass for the mixture to have a soft-dropping consistency from the spoon.
Get out the muffin cases & tin, spoon in about 2/3 full, pop in the pre-heated oven (190degC) for about 25mins or til the wood skewer (or fork) prick comes out clean.
Enjoy those yummy muffins before they're gone! :D
Saturday, August 22, 2009
Ooooh! Finally! I REALLY had wanted so long to make a huggable hobo-esque messenger type with a flappy thingamajig. It was tough to actually word it out! LOL Its usually a straight U-hobo or a structured messenger, but being the comfort/control-freak that I am, I wanted BOTH in a bag, plus size, function, cuteness, thick straps, etc. etc. LOL Yeap, pushing boundaries is FUN! yaaaay!
After researching & pondering & prototyping for ever so long and looking at ever so many inspirations from clothes, environment, vintage-goodness, I finally came up with this (above!) in one afternoon, despite the heat & stress. Its funny but sometimes, the stress really does bring out the best in me. When the inspiration coaster comes, I throw everything aside and jump in, no second thoughts! Its really the final prototype hence the sneak peek release in the shoppe, at 20% off no less! Everyone around here is sighing in content to see how adorable & functional this new guy is! Mom thinks its way better than my previous prototypes, friend wants it as her new diaper bag, assistant wants one as a school/work bag. Mission (kinda) accomplished. :D
We're gonna fine-tune the design further - flap strength, the gusset size, & to include a pocket on the inside & outside as well for more stuff. They will be a possibility of making them REVERSIBLE! 2 in one baby! That means no wimpy, hassling snaps & stuff coz its suppose to be the easiest-to-use hobo around, not to mention its deep enough not to allow your stuff to fall out. Thanks so much to you guys who have been emailing us about the new Hobo Messenger! Here's the big news...
Official release of the New Hobo Messengers - September 2009. They will be at $62, similar to our usual totes & reversible panel hobos, which are on request-basis right now. Want to custom one? There's no extra charges for custom! ;+)
Friday, August 21, 2009
1) 80's kitten pumps by lisazain
2) Tutu by PrincesscaTutus
3) Lilac headband by MagnolijaDRESS
4) Cameo Brooch by PlumeAdore
5) baby shoes by sheknitsamy
6) Simple Bloom Earrings by fussjewelry
7) corsage-pin-brooch by tijusai
8) Pink Amethyst Stones by aaarealgem
9) Handspun Yarn by spinswim
How beautiful is this color? Often overlooked, this color can actually provide loads of comfort in these crazy days of ours! Check out the pretty lilac things available, these are just some of the favourite of my eyes. ;+)
We finished them earlier this week and will be releasing them in about 12 hours. ;+) We had quite a number of requests for more grown-up prints, since these clutches are more of a city/sexy/chic kinda design, so we thought, cutesy aside, we wanna be sexy too! :P
Loads of greens, pinks & blues in thick canvas prints, this makes for one hot, summery & kinda sexy collection, perfect for lunch with the girls by the pool in your maxi dresses.
(All except Strawberry Sorbet (top right) who managed to squeeze in despite protests. LOL)
We're still having our Anniversary SALE so do stop by to pick up pressies for you & your loved ones! Word is, we might not be hanging around during the Christmas shopping period this year since DH is doing PR/job/Phd prep crap & I might have to make a trip to Sydney *double groan*. You have been told! SHOP TODAY people! :D
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Did you notice food always makes us feel better? Not that its always a good thing though. I think its my low metabolic rate that allows me to gain 5 pounds after a square of chocolate. Its nuts I tell ya. I work like a horse, lose a bit of weight and it ALL comes back after I cave into a trip to haagen daz (Thanks CT! LOL). But hey, we only live once and I believe we should live it to the fullest! Seriously, being overweight is one of my least concerns as long as I can find clothes to fit me, or at least make some to! Even though its one of the lowest priority, I can still run really fast to chase a bus, or away from a robber/rapist/weirdo. So, judging someone's weight rather than ability is shallow. You heard it here first. I say that coz I know young, thin, pretty girls who cannot run to save her own life. So people, take care of your health, run, swim, play tennis, eat fruits. Bu don't forget the chocolates & ice-cream too. As CT says, small amounts in moderation cannot hurt us, instead will bring us joy! ;+)
So if you're feeling crummy that the week seems to last forever, indulge in a piece of chocolate, eat a sundae or buy a cute new dress. You will feel better! :D
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
After my bout of lethargy, I figure the only thing is to get a new dress to lift the mood! Figuratively, that is, coz I prefer to make mine, preferably from thrifted or old materials. I do have a couple of dresses by yours truly since I love them so much. They're perfect to swish around in, especially in summer when ironically, with all that fabric (light ones!), the air passes thru more easily, hence the coolness. :D I'm gonna need more, I thought to myself, and since the research on DIY dresses came up, I thought I'll share the tutorial links too + some inspiration around the web! ;+)
1) Threadbanger. I watch them ever since they came into existence and I must say they never fail to feed my obsession with making stuff and keeping the enviro eco-friendly. Loads of T-shirt recons lately, Tee-Dress, the $10 Wedding dress, Shirred summer dress, and the dress from mens slacks.
2) The recent Cute summer dress from mens dress shirt from Chic Steals. Loving the ruffly top. Besides, dad just gave me an old button down.
3) Dornob is offering some really helpful inspirational pics of upcycling old clothes, including dresses!
4) Style Bubble made an amazing blue dress with vintage-y elements which I really love! The pleated sleeves are an amazing idea!
5) A really adorable Shirt Dress by made! Ok, this one's a girl's dress but I'm seriously tempted to try an adult version, perhaps with an empire waist. ;+)
6) clevergirl upcycled a lemon mens dress shirt into a cute short sleeved simple dress. Tutorial is pretty clear in pictures!
7) A really cute Babydoll dress by kiss_liss!
8) More inspiration from College Fashion.
9) A current fav - The Chloé Floor-length mousseline silk dress! I'm loving the light as air fabric and the understatedly sexy back. Mmmm.
Now on to dreaming of my next project.... ;+)
Monday, August 17, 2009
I need a hug. Looks like its gonna be a long week. A deadline is approaching. Have to send in an assignment for school this weekend and we had to sit around for 4 hours this evening but its still kinda half done. I'm beat and so are my mates but I'm pushing myself so much to finish the darn thing, I'm surprising myself! Then I thought back about some people saying that I'm a superman. Am I really one? I thought about it on the long way back home. Campus is on the other side of town which can be rather trying to commute to frequently. Well I do have a case of perfectionism, or rather being anal about having to finish something I start or I won't look at it anymore. Its kinda got a time limit, or shelf life, this attention span of mine. And this weird need to make a super long to-do list which I never get to finish and will feel awful at the end of the day. This includes updating the blog too!
Reviewing my typical day...I do multitask a lot apparently. Making breakfast, dealing with online admin, snapping pictures, uploading/editing them, packing can all happen at the same time. It might have something to do with ADD too. But hey, it gets a lot of things done! Plus after breakfast, I study, do assignment, laundry & cutting up stuff to make. Oh and I put in music/movie/TV re-run at the same time. By evening I'm beat from having to deal with everything plus the horrible tropical heat, I catch a quick shut-eye for 20mins before dinner comes home. Then its postal run, and back to make stuff, shower, talk to DH over the phone & more online admin(listing, emails, convos, blog, flickr, etc), more packing, research for DIY/eco concerns/fabric/cameras/whatever else before getting shut eye for the day. Suffice to say, I hardly get to sit around for a minute, except travelling or during uni lecture.
I think the measure of lethargy is how much one misses the bed. LOL
p/s: Helped a girl with seriously bandaged ankles up the entrace steps at campus today. The poor girl was walking so slowly and painfully yet so determined to continue school! She was so thankful and I felt better being of at least some help to her. But seriously, where the hell is the disabled access ramp at SIM!? Tsk tsk.
Sunday, August 16, 2009
Got quite a few emails asking about these new babies and We're revealing them now! Sorry about being so sneaky and all, it actually wasn't that way. We were really busy with restocking and sending out orders this week, we were swamped! By the way, another huge thanks to everyone who came, saw and bought stuff from florspace! :D
Our very classic, vintage-inspired maxi clutches are about 10.5" zippered top so your stuff are completely secure! 7.5" height in order to store all your goodies, and about 14" at the widest bottom! A magnetic snap keeps everything safe and pretty! No pockets inside coz well, its not ginormous and it looks cuter having to dig for stuff. Trust me. hehe Flap is double stitched on both layers, in & out, so its all greatly secure! We supported use of softer materials with canvas back and canvas for the inside so they maintain sturdier construction. They will retail at $42 at this time and only on etsy! ;+)
Do come back and check them out @the little shoppe on monday, hopefully they're still around! If not, a little patience for our restocks. ;+)
Babbled by florspace at 9:01 AM
Friday, August 14, 2009
I personally *heart* white a lot! Hence the selections for this Friday. :+) Its the most basic color as all the primary colors come together to make white. Its also the most beautiful in my humble opinion. I would love to wear white all the time if not for the fact that I'm such a klutz - spill accidents & black patches on my tush isn't uncommon. My room is painted in white, with specks of black furnishings.
Couple of my favourite things from the amazing etsy!
1) hollow book pistol safe by pommesfrites
I SO need one of these. Its been one of my fantasies to keep cash and other treasures hidden away in a non-descript book on the shelf. Hello old-world!
2) Sexy Boyfriend Sheer Buttonup Top by lamixx
Something perfect to lounge around in on those hot days, with a big bowl of sorbet and a fluffy cat. :D
3) Spiderling Cloud (02) / 8 x 10 print by cloudery
Now this piece of art, is fine! I have a soft sopt for letterpress because of the texture. Plus, you get to do some charity grabbing this beauty.
4) Cathrine Holm blue lotus frying pan by beggarsandchoosers
Ahhh, good old Cathrine Holm. How long have I been a fan of thee!
5) Vintage Milk Glass Creamer and Sugar Set by jwhite2
Recently I'm hooked on smooth-down-the-throat Milk Glass. Understatedly beautiful and varied in texture, this speaks volumes without the loudness of bold colors.
6) Vintage Samsonite Silhouette Ivory 2 Piece Luggage Set by VintageEyeFashion
Luggages never misses my eye! I'm an avid fan and this set is one of the most beautiful I've set eyes on! SO perfect for that trip down memory lane...
7) spell supercalifragilistiexpialidocious by twoangelsinparis
These are game tiles but I'm attracted to the simplicity and possibilities of these amazing tiles! Fix a magnet behind and its a fridge magnet! They are like old wood letter blocks.
8) White Vintage Rotary Phone by FishboneDeco
Did you call your mom today? Old-timey phones have such a great ring to it! Plus the rotary device is so much fun to dial!
9) 1960's Mod Royal Signet Typewriter by OldWorldOrder
I've always wanted one! My mom used to type on this old robin's egg blue typewriter when I was a kid and it reminds me so much of the afternoons I watched her hitting away at the keys. When I got to try it, I was so amused and entertained by having to hit the keys to make words! Its time to return back to old school again! yaaay!
florspace is still having our 3rd Anniversary SALE so do hop on by for some great bargains! Shop for Christmas, its not too early! :D
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
With all the horrible airplane mishaps recently making us nervous about airtravel, it might be time for a bit of humor to lift the mood. I say its time for airlines to shape up and for us to pick a more trusty company. LOL
A no-frills airline
You'll Know It's a No-Frills Airline If:
1. They don't sell tickets, they sell chances.
2. All the insurance machines in the terminal are sold out.
3. Before the flight, the passengers get together and elect a pilot.
4. If you kiss the wing for luck before boarding, it kisses you back.
5. You cannot board the plane unless you have the exact change.
6. Before you took off, the stewardess tells you to fasten your Velcro.
7. The Captain asks all the passengers to chip in a little for gas.
8. When they pull the steps away, the plane starts rocking.
9. The Captain yells at the ground crew to get the cows off the runway.
10. You ask the Captain how often their planes crash and he sez, "Just once."
11. No movie. Don't need one.
12. Your life keeps flashing before your eyes.
13. You see a man with a gun, but he's demanding to be let off the plane.
14. All the planes have both a bathroom and a chapel.
-- Joke sighted on my igoogle, Tuesday Aug 11, 09, 10.;55am
Sunday, August 09, 2009
Whew! Its been a long day! Had to stay up last night, amend all the 155 listings in the shoppe for the sale, answer convos, tweet and prepare more stuff for you wonderful people who stayed patiently by the screen and waited (past midnight for the eastern hemisphere!). To all you early birdies, THANK YOU + HUGS! Its very cliche, but seriously, we'll be living on the streets without you! Its well and truly such a wonderful feeling to be appreciated for the things we do! You early birdies will definitely find extra goodies with your order! ;+) yaaay! Not to worry "later-comers" (*giggles*), our orders always come with love and thanks, just because you believed in us! It makes everything worth its weight in gold.
Now, you might already know this, but I'm quite a juvenile and almost naive person. I have issues keep secrets and holding things in! LOL The shot up there is a final version of our Maxi Clutches soon to be in store! You saw it here first! I just had to say it coz its almost the only thing on my mind these days! I'm a little nuts about clutches. I have a plethora of vintage ones that are being used almost daily as well as prototypes for florspace. With fabric construction constraints, I found in order to create a large clutch enough for our daily (load of!) essentials to be crammed into a hand-held, it needed both to be sturdy, yet relatively lightweight and somewhat structured yet will be suitable to be made in cottons and canvases. I hated super hardy clutches like the old hand-tooled leather ones coz they can hurt as well as clutches that eventually turn lumpy after sometime of usage. Pleats and whatnots tend to trap dirt in the yummy fabric and it can become difficult to handle in everyday situations. I'd wanted something classic, something simple, in the florspace spirit of real functionality and letting the fabric speak for itself.....hence a sort of blown up version of our small clutches we used to do. I loved the classic circular moon shaped flap and trapezoid style. The flat bottom means your clutch will mould to your essentials and habits and you can control how much to put in, not to mention things will be more easily found as they can only be on one plane! And, it packs so easily in your suitcase for travel! And of course, the zippered top means nothing falls out even if you drop the clutch or have to fend off unwanted attention. ;+)
Quite a bit of thought went in but it'll be boring you guys out! I will not be releasing the one you see at the top, as the fabric is vintage and has a bit of flaw in it. Its mine for keeps! 3 more really adorable ones like above are coming in store, so do keep your eyes peeled if you're a clutch-anatic like moi! :D
Friday, August 07, 2009
1) Jamball multi-coloured buttonball tree
2) Vintage Tree Wall Hangings
3) Bamboo Magnolie DRess
4) I have climbed to the top of the tallest tree
5) Unique, unequaled, special...
6) Jewelry Tree
7) Two Trees Shirt
8) Silver Tree Necklace
9) retractable tape measure
A quick one coz we're gonna start the Anniversary SALE! We heart trees a lot and these are just some of the awesome finds from the amazing people at etsy! Check them out! :+)
Tuesday, August 04, 2009
Oh gosh! Its been 3 years! We've had so much fun doing up purses for you guys and hearing about lovely stories about them, the time just flew by! No long sappy stories this time, but everyone's been so great and supportive to us these 3 years, we wanna virtual hug you all and say thank you thank you thank you! We don't exist without you guys, truly! So that said, its the big sale time for you guys who love us so much! :D
Everything in store is 20% off til the end of August! Yaaaay!
PLUS PLUS PLUS PLUS!
MiniZs @$5, MiniBs@$6
Shipping for each additional small purse is only $1!
Third Anniversary SALE Conditions:
1) Reserved, pre-orders, customs, additional requests not included in the sale.
2) Sale items are not included
3) Payment is expected immediately at the time of order for international paying by paypal.
4) Payment is expected within 3 days for local orders, i.e., payment has to be received in our bank account within 3 days.
Note that every single purse that goes into the shoppe is all painstakingly made by hand so no sale-time rejects ever!
Starts about NY time 12pm, 7th August. ;+)
(Singapore 12am, Friday night, Sat morning!)
Need time converter?