Thursday, May 24, 2007

Noh performance and 28 weeks later

I went for a Noh performace/lecture by quite a famous performer, Sakae Terai, who was actually named an intangible national treasure by the Japanese government. Excuse my tiny explanation if you'd already know what it is. Noh, in my own humble little opinion is respectable for what its worth but it almost is a sure way to fall asleep since its extremely slow, with minimal tiny and deliberated movements by the actors. The songs could very well have been buddhists chants because we have no lyrics. The "music" consists of a bamboo flautist, and peppered with 2 drums, one big and small hit in various rhythm thats difficult to follow coz I realise that when I somehow managed to figure it out, I was in a micro sleep motion, embarassing to myself and others. For what its worth, it was a fabulous insight to what Noh actually was, with detailed explanations to the origins, songs, instruments, costumes, stages and masks. DH says that Noh was enjoyed by Japanese aristocrats a long time ago. I told him I preferred Kabuki and um, according to him, the latter was enjoyed by the 3rd estate. Nonetheless, we were exposed to a cultural experience we wouldn't have otherwise had the chance to, considerably rarer than Sado or Ikebana.

I watched 28 weeks later on Tuesday (cheap movie day!). It was nightfall when the movie ended and the weather was cold and unforgiving and it left me far more depressed when I already was about everything. I'd always loved zombie movies. DH and I were obsessed with watching them and collecting the DVDs, everything from Night of The Living Dead, which we believed was the first zombie-esque movies. I'm not sure if the 28 series belongs to the zombie category but I guess we can lump them in. 28 days later, the first installment begun with the guy who awoke to an empty city and albeit hopeless and bleak, there were uplifting moments of the supermarket shopping scene and finding the military, supposedly the savior. In the sequel however, it was just plain depressing throughout with mass destruction and torn families. Every shred of hope was gone the moment it is realised. The thing that was really eating into me was that the whole thing was so real and possible. I sympathize with Londen-ers since the whole scene was set there. I'd imagine its reminiscence of the Black Plague?

So, I'm about into the 4th week in Sydney. Truth be told, I still find the whole place kinda depressing (or maybe it was the movie?). I have no idea if I should be broadcasting this at all but it seems that this place is hit with all kinds of negativity which I suppose all other big cities gets, crime, kidnapping, lousy train system, bad-mouthing politicians and major corp people, crummy and ridiculously expensive food and essential supplies, general rudeness & obliviousness, smoking.... I could go on and on. Would it be the same to be living in New York or Paris?

Happiness is suddenly a quaint notion all over again....

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin