Monday, September 08, 2008

Huggable Hobos


"Hi! My name is Soda. I was born on a hot summer day when my creator was dreaming of lime sorbets and the deep blue sea and clear skies of californian beaches!"

Law mid-term is over, bit of window here. Time to talk about the huggable hobos! I love love love hobos! I'm not sure when it started. Hmm....I think it was a couple of years ago? Gucci launched their big and functional horsebit hobos, the one with the tooth/leather rope handle thingy? Jessica Simpson was carrying still with Nick and was lugging a caramel version all over town together with a string of other celebs. Obviously I had trouble paying for something like that, not to mention I was never the Gucci fan. I loved the rich caramel buttery leather but I keep having the PETA voice in my head so I opted for a faux leather version for uni. It went perfectly with anything, I mean ANYTHING! I lugged it in wide-legged tailored pant, denim, even to the beach and it still looked fab every step of the way. The ease of the single handle and fuss-free design made it literally my everyday bag. Just lug and go, my friends would tout.

So there, couple of years later, not to match Gucci or Bottega or anyone else, I made my own. Fabric choice is almost my first priority. I didn't want the hobo to be too structured coz, hell, its a hobo! But but but, I still wanted some sort of form. It needed to be functional yet decent looking at the same time. I went straight for home dec weight canvas. It was the only way to go without the lumpyness of thin cotton or the stiffness of interfacings. To double the fun, and to further maintain the puffy-semi-structured-flowy look, I took the fabric inside as well. The opening of the hobo is about 13-14 inches, big enough to dump things in, but small enough to prevent naughty hands from dipping into your hobo pot. All in all, I could make it reversible! How cool to have the versatility of 2 bags in one! Woo-hoo I thought that hot summer day, Bingo! Naturally the double pleat is to add puff and space for your stuff. The size was made to fit anyone. Its puffy and cute on smaller gals but not ridiculously tiny on my big gals. The wide 4 layer strap is comfy and sturdy on the shoulders. Added a D-ring on the side, so the gals who love to hang something "you" on your bag, go ahead and make it yours! I was ready to take my hobo out! Not sure if its a good thing, coz I came home with several orders for it. :P More work for us! But I feel so happy that you guys find joy in my stuff! Its the greatest payback, ever!

So yeah, thats my little hobo story. Oh wait! The little hobo! LOL I almost forgot about MiniHobo. I've been reading too many bag in bag stories. Hey, we all want more bang for our buck! MiniHobo is perfect for your little girl, or its the perfect cutie for your camera or essentially tinier things that might get lost in the Big mama. ;+) She's reversible too! Yaaaay!

I know Soda's bit summery, but I had to do it! The colors was just begging me to. hehe Anyhoo, Diablo is a real bad ass and Mod Blobs had been SO popular I got orders to fill! I'm still a little weirded out by that. Hm. So yeah, go check them out and I've got a whole pile of fall fabrics just waiting to be turned into Huggable Hobos!

ps: They're Huggable Hobos because if you put something soft in them, they turn into a comforting pillow. Seriously!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin